Recent Posts

Monday, February 25, 2008


What can I do if I think my child may have Autism /Developmental Disorders?

If you have concerns about your child, you should take your child to a specialist such as a Child/Behavioural Psychologist or Developmental Paediatrician specially trained in Autism and its related disorders or you can contact Learning Ladders for help and advice.
The first step is to confirm a diagnosis to rule out any other condition causing the symptoms.

Why is this important?

Early diagnosis allows for earlier intervention, which increases the chance of maximizing your child's potential.

Early intervention is critical for the best outcome in children with autism, and many believe the earlier the better.

It is VERY important to begin intervention as early as possible in order to help your child reach his or her full potential.

Only with a diagnosis can parents begin to obtain necessary intervention/treatment services for their child.

Given the potential benefits of early diagnosis, is it possible to reliably diagnose autism before age 2?

The answer is YES.

An experienced and specially trained (in Autism and its related disorders) Psychologist will be able to carry out :

1) In-depth assessment and diagnosis to establish accurate level of functioning of your child.
2) Recommendations for specific strategies (specific to your child only) to work towards developmental, educational and behavioural aims.